Digitalization, Innovation & Technology in OMV Petrom
Technology and Innovation are key enablers of OMV Petrom strategy 2021+, along with people and organizational culture and sustainability.
The energy mix demand is changing, the environmental standards are getting higher and the need for a cleaner future requires more and more attention, while the costs need to become more effective. Meanwhile, the digital era impacts all of us and we must be ready to embrace the benefits of innovative ways of working and use of the latest technologies.
Investments in innovation are vital to ensure long-term sustainability of the business. We seek innovative solutions to optimize operations, explore business opportunities and develop new business models.
The DigitUP OMV Petrom program:
Through the DigitUP OMV Petrom program, our Vision is to become a digital frontrunner in the industry, thus enabling us to promote innovation, become scalable, safer, faster in deployments and adopt agile methodologies.
OMV Petrom DigitUP is an integral part of the global OMV DigitUP Program. Therefore, we managed to obtain a readily accessible technology to be used in our day-to-day work.
This digital transformation will come to life by targeting:
- Increasing the DIGITALIZATION level through the deployment of the projects inside the Lighthouses (collections of initiatives per discipline): Digital Subsurface, Real-time Digital Oilfield, Digital Rig of the Future and Digital Office of the Future, in close alignment with the global program.
- Expand the OMV Petrom DIGITIZATION level with focus mainly on hardcopies (well files & logs) and existing processes.
In the times that follow, leaving a mark in the way we work, interact, and build our digital future will be fully rewarding.
Casing drilling is an innovative way of drilling. The traditional way of completing a well meant that the well was drilled first, then pipelines were inserted inside the drilled well (casing) to protect and support the well-stream. With casing-drilling, a rather new technology, drilling is done using the final well casing. This reduces drilling time, costs and problems encountered. In OMV Petrom, we have been using this technology since 2012 and it has been gradually adopted for more and more wells.
Our teams of geologists and engineers visualize data in 3D on a 4 meter wide screen. The Galileo 3D visualization Centre helps us better “see” what lies underground, down to the smallest detail. 3D visualization facilitates better interpretation of geological data and improved design of exploration and production operations for technical teams. The 3D visualization center for geoscientists and engineers in Romania was inaugurated in 2014 and, at that moment, it was the most advanced center of this kind in Europe.
Multilateral drilling is a new technology that allows us to reach different target zones within a reservoir through a single well. In this way, additional resources from our mature fields can be recovered and production increased, while managing costs. In 2018, OMV Petrom started production from the first multilateral well drilled in Romania. The well LVO7 is located in Lebada Vest, the biggest offshore oil field in Romania which has been producing for decades thus facing the challenges and strong investment needs related to a mature field.
Other initiatives to drive digitalization and innovation
- Well automation: approximately 5,000 wells have been automated
- PMF Automation (Production Management Framework) - Maximum Production Capacity calculation by implementing a digital integrated platform
- OSIsoft PI Implementation(Process Information) - The system that will offer "near real time" data for remote monitoring of equipment
- APC Advanced Process Control - Real Time system Optimization of Plant MVs (manipulated) and CVs (control variables) to improve plant stability
- Best Day (Production) - A tool for continuous production performance tracker and BestDay estimate through daily & real time production overview
- Pilot project for NB – IoT (narrowband Internet of Things technology) – an absolute premiere in Romania – testing real time monitoring of producing wells located in isolated areas
- HolloRod technology (hollow rods) - helps significantly reduce wax deposits on the surface of production equipment
- Lined Tubings – a new technology that prevents against abrasion and corrosion meaning significant time and costs reductions.